Cancer Day Program Activate
Our multidisciplinary Oncology Rehabilitation Program, ACTIVATE, is for people who have a primary diagnosis of cancer. Sometimes, cancer treatment can affect your ability to perform everyday activities. Your physical abilities may be limited and your emotional wellbeing and quality of life my suffer.
The aim of this program is to help people, regardless of where they are on their cancer journey, lead an active and fulfilling lifestyle. The program consists of a structured exercise program and education sessions from a range of health professionals.
Our Program Aim
This multi-disciplinary day program is suited to those who have a primary diagnosis of cancer and are looking to improve their quality of life and have a level of decline due to cancer treatment. Participants can be at various stages of their journey, whether that be before, during or after any treatment.
The program is designed to assist individuals to maximise participation in an active and fulfilling life, with a focus on functional and psychological wellbeing.
The program combines health education, exercise and support for participants in a small group environment. Exercises are tailored to the individual’s level of activity. Participants attend for two to three hours, twice a week for 6 weeks. The comprehensive education sessions cover topics including:
- Benefits of exercise
- Activity pacing and energy conservation
- Stress management
- Healthy sleep patterns
- Community support services
- Partners, family members or close friends are welcome to attend the education sessions.
The Specialist team consists of:
- Rehabilitation Physician
- Occupational Therapist
Referrals may be made by surgeons, specialists or general medical practitioners. Referrals may also be received directly from hospitals after an inpatient stay.
Referrals can be sent via our referral pad or letter from your GP, or specialist to the Osteoarthritis Management Program and faxed to 8876 9436 or email: email@example.com If any queries please contact 8876 9303.
Download Referral form
Upon receipt of referral you will be reviewed by the Rehabilitation Physician along with the ACTIVATE Allied Health Team consisting of
- Occupational Therapist
- Social Work (as required)
Your whole program will be scheduled by our Day Program Co-ordinator.
Please bring the following documentation with you for your initial assessment:
- Referral letters
- Relevant discharge paperwork or reports
- Private health fund insurance details
- Medicare card
- Wear shorts or other comfortable clothes that allow you to exercise in.
- Medication you require during the session
If your hospital program is covered by private health insurance or Veteran’s Affairs, the account will be sent directly to the relevant organisation. A health fund check will be completed upon receipt of referral to ensure coverage. You will be notified of any co-payment or excess prior to your admission. If it is covered by Worker’s Compensation or transport accident schemes, approval must be sought prior to your admission. Should a patient wish to pay for their treatment independently, the fee structure will be explained before commencement.
- Limited free parking is available on site and there is ample parking in adjacent streets.
- Ferry Service – there is a regular ferry service from Circular Quay to Valencia Street wharf. Bus 538 from the wharf stops outside the hospital.
- Regular bus services run from the city.
- For up to the date bus and ferry service information please phone 131 500.
- A transport service is available to pick up and drop off patients within a certain radius. Please make arrangements for this service when booking in
- Community transport with your local provider