Osteoarthritis Management Program
Thank you for choosing Hunters Hill Private Hospital for your hospital care. Owned and operated by Ramsay Health Care - one of Australia’s largest and most reputable private hospital operators - Hunters Hill Private Hospital offers a comprehensive range of services and facilities. In recognition of our commitment to excellence in patient care and service, Hunters Hill Private Hospital has been certified against the Core Standards for Safety and Quality in Healthcare.
Hunters Hill Private Hospital is a 40 bed surgical, medical and rehabilitation facility located in the Sydney suburb of Hunters Hill approximately 10 kilometres north west of the centre of Sydney.
Hunters Hill Private Hospital provides an extensive range of inpatient, outpatient, diagnostic, and rehabilitation services. Equipped with highly skilled practitioners we are able to provide the very best in rehabilitation care for patients.
About Ramsay Health Care
An Australian- owned company, Ramsay Health Care was founded by Paul Ramsay in 1964 and has grown to become one of the largest and most reputable providers of private hospital and psychiatric services in the country. Ramsay Health Care boasts a high quality portfolio of strategically located hospitals and an excellent record in hospital management and patient care - features which combine to attract Australia’s leading medical, nursing and allied health practitioners.
Osteoarthritis Management Program General Information
Osteoarthritis is a disease caused by joint deterioration leading to chronic pain and disability.
This specialised knee and hip osteoarthritis management program has been designed with aims to improve daily living and associated quality of life by reducing joint pain and stiffness and range of function. It can also improve your fitness for joint replacement surgery (if relevant)
The program incorporates multiple medical health professionals, including Rheumatologists, Physiotherapists, Dietician, Occupational Therapist and social worker to provide an integrated approach to the nonsurgical management of hip and knee osteoarthritis.
Based on the success of the program already established at Royal North Shore Hospital and Ryde Hospital under the guidance of Rheumatologists Professor David Hunter and Dr Shirley Yu, we are establishing this service at Hunters Hill Private Hospital. All you need to do is have a referral from your doctor or specialist. It involves face to face visits for up to 12 months.
Aims of Program:
- Weight Loss to reduce load on joints
- Muscle strengthening to help with mobility and stabilisation of joints
- Land or water based and range of motion exercises to reduce joint stiffness and improve physical function
- Pain management strategies to help understand medications and manage flares
- Education to help build understanding and practical skills
- Monitoring to maintain engagement and boost motivation and confidence
Referrals can be sent via our referral pad or letter from your GP, or specialist to the Osteoarthritis Management Program and faxed to 8876 9436 or email: email@example.com
Upon receipt of referral you will be reviewed by the Musculoskeletal Coordinator whom is a Physiotherapist and the Rheumatologist. The type of Allied Health therapists you will be seen by will be determined at this initial assessment. These could include individual sessions with the:
- Occupational Therapist,
- Social Worker and/or
- Referral to other external professionals or programs.
You may also be referred to attend ongoing supervised therapies which will include physiotherapy and hydrotherapy to achieve your goals
Your whole program will be scheduled by our Day Program Co-ordinator.
Please bring the following documentation with you for your initial assessment:
- Referral letters
- Relevant x-rays
- Private health fund insurance details
- Medicare card
- Compensation details if your treatment is related to a workers compensation or third party claim
Follow-on Group Physiotherapy Program
Supervised Osteoarthritis Management Program Sessions are three (3) hours in duration and held with groups of up to six patients. These commence at 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm Monday – Friday and 9:00 – 12pm on Saturdays.
What to wear & bring
- Wear shorts or other comfortable clothes that allow access to your legs
- Swimsuit (if participating in Hydrotherapy)
- Medication you require during the session
How are accounts paid?
If your hospital program is covered by private health insurance or Veteran’s Affairs, the account will be sent directly to the relevant organisation. A health fund check will be completed upon receipt of referral to ensure coverage. You will be notified of any co-payment or excess prior to your admission. If it is covered by Worker’s Compensation or transport accident schemes, approval must be sought prior to your admission. Should a patient wish to pay for their treatment independently, the fee structure will be explained before commencement.
- Limited free parking is available on site and there is ample parking in adjacent streets.
- Ferry Service – there is a regular ferry service from Circular Quay to Valencia Street wharf. Bus 538 from the wharf stops outside the hospital.
- Regular bus services run from the city.
- For up to the date bus and ferry service information please phone 131 500.
View Larger Map
Queries please contact Rehabilitation Nurse Unit Manager (02) 8876 9300